Monday, May 5, 2008

Yi Yi

When I first glanced at the movie's duration, I was shocked: almost three hours?!
In fact, Yi Yi was worth every minute of it. The colors in this film--particularly the returns to red, playing on the theme of good fortune--were gorgeous; many of the shots were magnificent--for instance, the low angle on the girl standing in front of the audio-visual presentation about thunder; and the issues contemplated were wonderful and intriguing. I absolutely adored the little boy, and his quest to truly "see" the world around him. I also noted the interesting use of American popular songs, inserted at odd moments--"Summertime," played on the piano by Ting-Ting, and "Mr. Tambourine Man" hummed absently by her father during his business trip. "Yi Yi" was masterfully made and, in my opinion, extremely successful in its analysis of human life.
~ Cassie Jensen

No comments: