Thursday, May 8, 2008

Fast Trip, Long Drop

I couldn’t seem to get into this film completely. The reappearance of the same man always pushing a message of “there’s still hope” and “I wouldn’t be here if I was handing out death sentences” as well as the initially very ironic found footage set me up to expect more consistent satire, so I had a hard time switching back and forth from the clearly satiric interview into the mode of watching a serious documentary about the personal experiences of one man and of other people who appeared only once or twice. Because we read the essay by Gregg Bordowitz, I caught on to certain points he was making about the portrayal of AIDS in the media that I don’t think I would have gotten out of the film on its own. Still, I liked the informal style of the interviews, and found what they were saying extremely interesting.

No comments: