Thursday, May 8, 2008

Joan Does Dynasty

I thought this film was really interesting, although it made me feel dizzy. I think it’s a film that you can’t view just once if you want to really understand it, especially since she speaks so fast and so disruptively that it’s almost impossible to process what she’s saying the first time around. However, I also feel like part of the point of the film was to be extremely disruptive and hard to process, since it is trying to break with the way we as viewers simply accept the images that shows like that constantly present us with. And what she is saying actually does make sense, not to mention it’s hilarious. I would love to see a similar stream-of-consciousness rant done over Sex and the City or a similar show—there would be so much material. I think that the piece would have seemed very different to me and probably much more effective if it had been about a show that I was more familiar with. But I loved the idea and the mood of disorientation.

No comments: