Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Edward Yang- Yi Yi

I am not sure who the intended audience for this film was but I think that it would be people outside of Taiwan as a sort of insiders view. However, there does appear to be many traditions, tid bits and codes that make the movie very confusing at times, at which point the movie seems to be intended for audiences in Taiwan. He is playing to two kinds of people. I enjoyed that the movie kept on switching perspective and which family member it followed because it showed the generational difference. I also thought these approach seemed more personal; that as the viewer I got to know the inner workings of one character at time. I think my favorite character was Yang-Yang because his scenes lacked conversations and had wonderful visuals. The silence put me in his place. My favorite scene was when he was in the bath with all of the balloons, trying to fill one up with water. I could feel his confusion and excitement and then let down when there was only a small amount of water in the balloon. The shots were very simple but aesthetically pleasing and well constructed. A gracefully made film.

No comments: