Saturday, May 10, 2008

Fast Trip, Long Drop (in response to Anjali)

I also found that I had a hard time with the film, but for opposite reasons. I was thoroughly engaged in the first ten minutes when he was playing many different characters and being satirical, however I started to lose my connection to his story when the man playing the different anchorman-type roles left. I feel like he started something that was going to bounce between satirical and genuine and be both engaging and moving, but when the satire filtered mostly out I found that even though the topics were important and I cared about what he was saying, the documentary itself didn’t leave as strong an impression as Tounge’s Untied did for me. This is not to say that you have to be funny to get a point across to an audience anymore (I hope that I have more an attention span than that), but I feel that this documentary in particular would have benefited from keeping the contrast between the satire and the genuine in strong form, and it would create more of a connection to the characters.

No comments: