Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Theme song

I’m still not sure on what I think about this piece. It is definitely a very innovative and sui generis piece; however, it was very hard for me to watch it and to appreciate it. I felt that it was very long and repetitive; I wasn’t very captured or interested in his ‘performance’ and I was annoyed by the repetition of his gestures.
However, the position of the camera is very interesting and direct; I liked the mode of addressing: who is he directing his words to: the audience, one specific person, the camera, himself? His very private space becomes public, through his way of addressing and of ‘moving towards’ the camera, building up a tension between himself and the other. His presence is predominant in the frame and intrusive in its acts. A not so enjoyable piece, but interesting.

No comments: