Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Theme Song

My experience of this piece changed as I was watching it. For the first two or three minutes, I thought it was clever, but weird. By the time I was five or six minutes in, I was bored. My mind started to wander as his voice droned on. But after another five minutes, I found myself very disturbed by the patterns in what he was saying. I felt like he was directly addressing me when he said “you,” and I did not want to be the object of his lust/longing. It was especially creepy when he would pull his legs toward the screen. Maybe it was just because I was in a small room wearing headphones, but his voice, the things he was saying, and the proximity of his face to the screen made me feel claustrophobic. I think this piece is very effective despite the music being dated. I think the comments he makes about our society and popular culture are still relevant to today’s media. Still, I’m not sure I’ll ever watch it all the way through in one sitting again. I went away from it wondering how this piece might change if it was a woman speaking to the camera and whether I would be as disturbed.

No comments: